Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Jots


The title of this photo is: "Scared!!! Scaaarreeed!!!" I guess only members of the Chalfin clan would get that. Hi Laura. You better be reading this, if you love me.

So I was sitting at breakfast by myself this morning in the kitchen, thinking about Cookie Crisps. Do you remember that cereal? I can remember two things about the commercial: the cartoon dog kept saying, "CoooOOOOOkie crisps!" and the cartoon kid would repeat, incredulously (or so I recall), "COOKIES for BREAKFAST?????" So this morning over my biscotti smeared with nutella, I scoffed at that kid. Cartoon kid, I eat cookies for breakfast every day of the week. It's a good thing I don't believe in buses anymore, because I would be one hefty foreign student if not for the hour+ I walk everyday.

Yesterday was a HUGE walking day. I walked all the way over to Il Parco delle Cascine, this huge park, and went to their famous market that is only open on Tuesdays (I went because it was Labor Day in Europe and the only Tuesday I have off from my favorite class in the world, femenist cinema). I walked all over the place. At the market I got the cutest little salt and pepper shakers in the world. They hug each other. I'll probably post a picture soon. They also sell them at the SF MoMA for an exorbitant price. I am well pleased.

Yesterday also was memorable because I bonded with my host mom! We talked for a long time after dinner (Harriet was out with her aunt from Taiwan) about life and deep things. Exciting times, and I am becoming more and more obsessed with Sandra every day. What a wonderful woman. Wow. Alliteration. It's coming back to me (I used to alliterate compulsively in academic essays, and it was a problem). Anyways, can you tell that I'm putting off work?

No comments: